I worked as one of the 3D artists, along with another artist, to create the necessary props and environment that was needed for each of the levels. Initial 3D models were created in Blender 3D, and then later textured in Substance Painter to be imported into Unity. Design was created and changed if required based on client feedback. Some of my duties included:
- Learned an entirely new program (Blender 3D) for model creation.
- Created low-poly models that were optimized to be used in an android-VR game.
- Worked within the limitations of android optimization (textures could only include albedo and bump maps).
- Designed models both alone as well as with another artist, working together to match styles.
- Made models based off a list of necessary models for each level, while also adding my own to fill out each level.
- Worked closely with graphic artists to import client-given images into game textures.
- Created modular pieces that would help optimize limited textures allowed in each scene.
I was also responsible for filling out the game levels with the environmental props created. The programmers gave me a rough blockout for each scene, as well as a general idea of where the important elements needed to go. From there, it was my job to fill out the game level and make it feel as realistic as possible, including create additional models. This included:
- Worked closely with programmers to fill out the initial blockout they gave me.
- Placed objects in as realistic positions as possible, to make it feel like a real environment.
- Created additional models as needed to fill out the environments (for example trash and littered food for the first level).
- Worked out best method of using modular pieces to help with game optimization.